Tips for homeowners
Metal theft is likely to continue to rise, as thieves see it as an easy way to get quick money.
These tips can help protect you against theft:
- Mark metals with your name using paint, hard-to-remove decals, or engraving
- Keep items out of sight, locked up, or securely stored when not in use
- Invest in fencing, locks and chains, or a storage unit
- Clearly mark private property with “No Trespassing” signs
- Be selective about who you let onto your property
- Let trusted neighbors know if you plan on taking long trips out of town
- Don’t park or store vehicles in the same spot for too long
- Use car alarms or other theft deterrents
- Never keep the Title of a motor vehicle in the vehicle
- Report suspicious people and/or vehicles to law enforcement
- Write down serial numbers on all personal property if available
If a metal theft does occur, call the police immediately so that local recyclers and scrap dealers can be alerted.